Saturday, November 22, 2014

Saul Bass


File:Vertigomovie restoration.jpgOne of my favorite designers from the 60s is Saul Bass. I can't help but elp but hear that 60's 'modern' jazz when I see this poster shown above. I also hear the James Bond theme song because he designed some of the Bond movies as well.
I do feel he is responsible for that famous "shower scene" in the thriller, "Psycho," because it is part of Bass's signature style. If you look at the "Cape Fear" title sequence, you will see that comparison as well as the original cover for the book title, The Shining and the movie with the same title. All these were done by Saul Bass and it's that dramatic flare for cropping that makes his work so unique for his time period. I also love how he adds a sense of drama to each poster with the simplest of colors and artwork. He must have saved his clients a fortune!
Saul Bass is truly a genius when it comes to the concept of "Less is more."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home