Monday, August 4, 2014

The Beach

This image is available on ebay

The Beach

As I wait (all day) for the plumber to change out my water heater, I'm longing for the beach. (actually, I'm longing for any kind of water...a shower...etc!) It's been years since I've found the time to go to the beach even though I live less than an hour away from its shoreline. I've gotten too preoccupied with work,  chores and busy friends with schedules that don't match. I haven't been to Galveston since Hurricane Ike. I hear its been built up quite differently from what I remember. The historic flagship hotel is gone. The entire base of the hotel has been turned into an overpriced "pleasure pier" or amusement park. (That's kind of nice even though friends have told me it's expensive for what you get.) My best childhood memories were at Surfside and Galveston. Since my father died in the air force when I was two, my mother raised four girls by herself so we took a lot of cheap vacations at Galveston and Surfside. So even though I haven't been to the beach in years, the old Galveston seawall is still etched in my head and that will have to do until I can make it back to the magically replenishing shoreline.
I'm grateful for all these memories and I suppose the feeling I get on a hot summer day when the water calls out for you to be a kid again.


http://www.ebay.com/itm/261552208939?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home