Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mondrian

(this image was designed in the Mondrian style - its not a true Mondrian - all those are copyrighted!!!)

 

 

 

 

 

Piet Mondrian 

...was one of the first modern artist names I learned in college. I worked on the school newspaper my second year and decided I wanted to become a publication designer. After all, I'm from the "magazine generation" and I grew up with beautifully enriching magazines like OMNI and LIFE to name a few. I began studying the few books our library had on publication design and was introduced to the "Mondrian layout." I began applying the principles immediately.
It wasn't till many years later that I began familiarizing myself with his unique contribution to the de stijl movement. Although he did not invent the movement and there were many others who were equally as famous for this movement, Mondrian made a special, lasting impression on the style that still resonates with designers today. Our newspapers would not understand asymmetrical balance as well today without his contributions. In every form of publications we understand about line, color and scale weights and the odd way they can balance each other in an informal design.
Although he had a lasting impact on publications, we see his influence in other areas of the arts. Remember the Partridge family bus? - Mondrian inspired! Remember the old MTV ads? - Mondrian inspired!
Even though there were many de stijl artists, Mondrian became one with the conceptual design behind the movement. He even studied Taoism with the Tibetan monks and broke everything down into a line or a square. I remember reading somewhere that a friend once sent him a painting in the de stijl style with a diagonal in it and he broke off the friendship saying, "Obviously, we have nothing in common."
Mondrian became one with his art and turned it into his own religion. At the end of my art career, I would love to be that lucky! (or blessed)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home