Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Fairy Tales

 I remember reading Grimm's Fairy Tales when I was a child growing up in a not-so-nice environment. There was a lot of violence and alcoholism around me so I would read to escape. In fact, I won a library award in school for reading the most books.
Fairy Tales do much more than help us escape from our problems. I really do believe they help us solve problems by making us use our imagination to create a better solution.
Jack Zipes, a professor at the University of Texas, wrote a book called "Radical Theories of Folk and Fairy Tales." I have loved this book for many decades! In the introduction, he introduces the topic of fairy tales by quoting Einstein. The story goes something like this:

A woman approaches the famous scientist Einstein and tells him she wants her son to become a scientist, "So what should I make him read?"
Einstein says, "Fairy tales."
The woman grimaces and then says "okay after that, what else."
and Einstein replies, "more fairy tales"

This is the way we get small children to use their imagination. With a powerful imagination, we can solve all the problems in the world...if we just believe....



You can buy a print of this watercolor I made in many sizes here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/263131729104?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

If I do not have the size you want, just ask by commenting and I'll make a new listing with your requested size.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home