Thursday, June 12, 2014

More on Originality...



 

So just to sum up this issue of originality and copyrights...

When it's okay -

·         ---We need references. We've got to have references. If my boss/customer/client/patron wants an illustration of a Bengal tiger, I do not have the time or resources to fly to Asia to photograph one. I need a reference...but...
·        --- I was trained to use "indirect references." This means I change it drastically from the original photograph (this does not apply to someone's drawing - that's still off limits) As artists, we should develop enough skills to virtually "reach" into the photo and move the object around. We should have enough of an imagination to visualize the object from a different profile or angle.
·         ---When you can't do this and need to use another artist's work for your inspiration...give credit. This is considered acceptable no matter what industry. Quite often parodies are what make us appreciate the original work of art. Do you think the Simpsons could last so long without parodies?
·        ----- For studying purposes. During the middle Ages, copying was an art form by itself. Massive amounts of manuscripts were being copied due to lack of books. Times were rough. There was no mass transit system, no mass educational system except for the monasteries and the only way to learn from an artist in a distant land was to copy.
·         -----Mimicking a style you love but in your own composition and subject matter. This is how some of the best art movements get started.

When it's not okay -

·         -----I cannot stand it when I enter a themed contest and find another artist copies my idea. I think this has got to be the cheesiest, below the belt type of copying. (And yes, feel free to leave your comments below.)
·        ---- Direct copying where even the cropping and composition are the same when you claim it as your own. This is a law suit waiting to happen. No judge is going to look past blatant copying and it's not okay in any culture. It lowers the entire contest to a whole new commercial low.
I understand that I do not know everything and I'm sure others may want to add their own input. I'm not here to shake the finger at anyone. I love entering competitions as long as they are fun. When blatant stealing and copying take place, it spoils the fun and I disappear which hurts me more than the thief. Am I asking too much of my fellow artists?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home