Sunday, June 8, 2014

My Watch Dog




My Watch Dog

Many years ago when I was living in an apartment, I was burglarized. The place was nice so it was one of those instances where I just didn't see the crime around the place until I had already moved and settled. I was nervous after that but decided it was a onetime unlucky event and went on with my life.
Then the pizza guy was beaten up in front of my door. I was shocked into realizing that I had moved to a high crime neighborhood. Everyone on my street was afraid to testify so I agreed to let the police take my statement on the crime even though what I saw wasn't much because I had been in the shower when it happened. I remembered I was getting dressed and I heard a commotion outside my window. I peeped out the side of the window and saw three young men standing over another on the sidewalk. It was dark and really hard to see their faces. This is all I could tell the police that night when they showed up at my door at two in the morning. They warned me that I needed to get out of this apartment because I wasn't safe living there. This put the fear in me. It was really hard falling asleep that night but when I finally did, I had this interesting dream about a black dog that stayed very close to me. If anyone approached, it would growl. This dog could talk to me and he told me that he was there to protect me from any crime.
Inspired by this dream I created this watercolor called "Chicago Dogs." I sold the original a long time ago but I can make prints. My 'dream' dog is the one in the center.

2 Comments:

At June 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

If the pizza guy is getting beat up, that's a sign that the place isn't safe enough to live in. While apartments are supposed to afford you some sense of collective security, it seems that even that won't be enough. If your apartment had invested in some tough security, the burglary could not have happened.

Elizabeth Shaw @ Westminster Security

 
At June 11, 2014 at 7:28 PM , Blogger birdbluff said...

You might have missed the part where I said this happened many years ago. The police actually helped me break my lease after the incident and I did move.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home