Monday, September 8, 2014

M.C. Escher

I spent 12 years working for a school that taught computer aided drafting and design. I was not an AutoCAD artist so I taught the basics to these students like drawing and illustration. We studied different perspectives extensively throughout the semester. I knew very little about Isometric perspective when I started but I loved simulation video games and knew that isometric played a huge role in the designs of city building games.
One of the best things about teaching is perfecting your own skills while you teach. I insisted on mastering the principles behind isometric tessellations very much like M.C. Escher did when he was alive. I have read some of Escher's biographies and I've showed several documentaries on his life in my classes so Escher's style is very dear to me.
For me, Isometric perspective is like a game, turning and twisting those cubes into impossible structures and unbelievable dimensions. I can see how Escher must have been in his own world most of his life. When an artist creates any kind of landscape, they get to go there. In fact, I've never had the need for travel the way most people do. My idea of a great vacation is staying at home and creating art. (I'm sure this sounds very boring to most but to me, it's heaven on earth!)
These are some of the Isometric Tessellations I've created. They take a long time to 'map out' so the originals are not for sale.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home